São Paulo, SP
Since 2011, I am an Assistant Professor at EACH-USP in the Bachelor Undergraduate Program in Information Systems (BSI) and in the Graduate Program in Information Systems (PPgSI).
I hold a Ph.D. in Electric Enginer (2009) and a bachelor in Computer Engineer (2002), both from Escola Politécnica (USP) . During my Ph.D., I was a visiting scholar in the Instituto Superior Técnico, in Lisbon.
My current research efforts focus on various aspects of sequential decision making under the frameworks of
Markov Decision Process and
Reinforcement Learning. In particular, I have been developing and studying models that consider a
Risk Sensitive Evaluation. Although most of my work is theoretical, lately I have been applying MDP and RL to
Since January 2020, I have been maintained a Youtube channel in Portuguese, Fragmentos Estocásticos. There, I present snippets of MDP and RL theory. It may serve as a fast introduction to the mathematics behind MDP and RL.
- JBCSALICAT: a customized approach to item selection process in computerized adaptive testingJOURNAL OF THE BRAZILIAN COMPUTER SOCIETY, 2020
- MICAIRisk-Sensitive Piecewise-Linear Policy Iteration for Stochastic Shortest Path Markov Decision ProcessesIn Martínez-Villaseñor L., Herrera-Alcántara O., Ponce H., Castro-Espinoza F.A. (eds) Advances in Soft Computing. MICAI 2020. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2020
- BRACISFinding Feasible Policies for Extreme Risk-Averse Agents in Probabilistic PlanningIn Cerri R., Prati R.C. (eds) Intelligent Systems. BRACIS 2020. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2020
- ICAPSAn Exact Algorithm to Make a Trade-Off between Cost and Probability in SSPsIn Proceedings of the International Conference on Automated Planning and Scheduling 2019
- AAMASGUBS: A Utility-Based Semantic for Goal-Directed Markov Decision ProcessesIn Proceedings of the 16th Conference on Autonomous Agents and MultiAgent Systems 2017